Victoria University of Wellington
Student population: 22,000
Victoria University of Wellington is New Zealand’s capital city university, located in the political, geographic and cultural heart of the country for over 125 years. At Victoria University of Wellington, students join an outstanding academic community with a strong reputation for success.
VUW is ranked first in New Zealand for research intensity*; in the top 250 of the world’s 18,000 universities˜, and in the top 100 in seven subject areas^.
Everything you need to know
A world-class education
We are among a selected group of universities worldwide to hold the maximum ‘five stars plus’ overall rating in the QS Stars rating of excellence and five stars in each of the eight indicators.
The Wellington School of Business and Government is one of an elite group of business schools worldwide with a ‘Triple Crown’ of international accreditations.
You can choose from over 30 undergraduate and more than 130 postgraduate programmes, across 170 subjects. We also offer a comprehensive graduate research programme for PhD study.
Quality learning and teaching environment
Victoria University of Wellington has nine faculties across three city campuses and offers a world-class learning and teaching environment. We are a leading global research centre and home to more than 40 research institutes.
The University is home to quality facilities, including modern workshops and newly built labs for students of architecture and design, engineering and science. Our Miramar Creative Centre sits next to the Weta Group’s Wellington headquarters and offers students studying the creative arts and technology access to cutting-edge professional studios in Wellington’s thriving filmmaking hub.
Learn real-world skills
The University consistently turns out high-quality graduates who are well equipped for the international workforce. Our teaching methods encourage you to strive for success and to become an independent, critical and creative thinker. Many programmes offer opportunities for real-world experience through field trips, research projects, work placements or working alongside internationally regarded experts.
We are committed to research excellence and to work that will have a positive impact on the world. We have close partnerships with leading business, government and scientific research communities, and in New Zealand’s thriving tech and arts sectors. You will benefit from collaborations with industry and networking opportunities as well as from access to expert guest lecturers.
Develop your leadership potential
You’ll have the chance to develop your leadership potential through the unique, award-winning Wellington International Leadership Programme (WILP), a programme designed to develop global citizenship skills, and via Wellington Plus, an initiative to develop service and leadership.
An ideal student location
New Zealand has quality education, breathtaking scenery, a vibrant culture and some of the friendliest people anywhere. And Wellington is at the centre of it all. You’ll find an exciting, compact, welcoming city and a great quality of life. You can enjoy arts, adventure and events and ready access to a beautiful harbour, beaches, miles of glorious coastline, mountains and native bush.
Wellington is New Zealand’s high-tech capital – it has the country’s highest concentration of web-based and digital technology companies – and is also home to the country’s most important cultural institutions, including the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra, the National Opera, Royal New Zealand Ballet, the National Library, Archives New Zealand, the New Zealand Film Archive and New Zealand’s national museum, Te Papa.
Diverse and welcoming
At Victoria University of Wellington, you’ll join a warm, open community of students from over 100 countries. The University has over 22,000 students, including around 3,000 international students. You will have plenty of opportunities to engage in campus life and meet other students at university events or at one of our 140 student clubs. More than 25% of people who live in Wellington were born outside of New Zealand, making it a diverse, welcoming city.
Excellent student support services
We offer a warm welcome and ongoing support from the moment you arrive to study here. We have a dedicated team who will help you to settle in and support you to achieve your goals. They provide practical assistance with health insurance, accommodation, academic guidance, and any other support you need to ensure your time at the University is a success.
Why choose VUW?
- A compelling combination: VUW offers students a wide range of academic opportunities in a great environment, surrounded by beautiful nature and a vibrant city.
- Quality education: VUW is ranked among the best universities in the world. The many accreditations of its programmes are testimony to the quality of its education.
- Academic variety: VUW’s degrees allow students to focus on their passion while using the flexibility offered in many programmes to explore other subjects.
- Nature: New Zealand’s famous landscapes (from beaches to snow-capped mountains and everything in between) are breath-taking. Wellington’s large harbour, along with its hills, parks, forests and coastline, frame city life in a beautiful scenery.
- The city: Wellington is known for its tucked-away bars, quirky cafes, award-winning restaurants, street art and cultural institutions. The diversity of its population ensures influences from all over the world, with a unique Kiwi twist. The city is also a hub of creativity and tech. In 2021 it was named one of the ‘21 Places Of The Future’ by Forbes magazine; Lonely Planet calls it ‘the coolest little capital in the world’ and it is home to the prestigious Weta Workshops.