Charles Darwin University
Location: Main campuses in Darwin (Casuarina, Darwin Waterfront and Palmerston), Alice Springs and Sydney
Student population: Over 22,000
RTO Provider No.: 0373
Charles Darwin University (CDU) is unique. No other Australian university serves such a large area of the continent, in such remote locations and with such a small population to sustain it. CDU offers both vocational education and training (TAFE) and higher education and is the only university in the Northern Territory.
Our multi-campus, dual-sector status, virtual and online expertise, course profile, research activities, delivery methods, and operations are the result of our commitment to the regions in which we operate. The NT spans around one-sixth of Australia’s landmass but just 1% of the population live here, of whom 30% are First Nations peoples.
We are a deeply connected university, working in partnership and collaboration with First Nations peoples, communities, industries, government and alumni to address the needs of the NT and regional, rural and remote people nationally and globally. We are proud of our history and our place in the world and look forward to a bright future.
Everything you need to know
- CDU is one of the top universities in Australia for graduate futures. We were ranked 2 in Australia for postgraduate outcomes and 4 for undergraduate outcomes by the Good Universities Guide 2023.
- CDU is a university with a growing international reputation: CDU has been identified as a ‘rising star’ in an elite group of 20 universities with the potential to be globally influential by 2030. The report, from UK consultant Firetail, lists new generation global universities on the rise.
- Work-integrated degrees ensure students graduate work-ready: You’ll build lasting relationships with your tutors and peers and experience quality placements that will allow you to apply your learning in real-world contexts. CDU courses with professional placements include engineering, IT, nursing, business and accounting.
A unique experience
Surrounded by excellent resources, support and high levels of student satisfaction, our international students quickly feel at home here. We have a low staff to student ratio which enables small class sizes and strong teacher-student interaction.
CDU’s main campus is in Darwin, known for its wide-open spaces, beautiful beaches, good public transport and lack of traffic. It has a population of 160,000 and a median age of 32. Darwin is surrounded by world-class national parks, including Kakadu and Litchfield, where you can experience stunning Australian wildlife and outback adventures.
CDU is deeply connected
Approximately 30% of the NT’s population is Indigenous, and over 4,000 Indigenous students study at the University each year. There are many opportunities to experience and celebrate local culture in the Northern Territory.
Scholarships at CDU
- Vice-Chancellor’s International High Achievers Scholarships (50% tuition fee reduction)
- CDU Global Merit Scholarship (30% reduction in tuition fees)
- Study in Australia’s Northern Territory Scholarships CDU International College Pathway Scholarship.
Student life at CDU
Become part of our community from the moment you arrive. Life on campus is vibrant with lots of activities to help you meet and get to know people. Because our classes are small, it’s easy to connect with like-minded people. Our student ambassadors can help you adjust to student life and to settling into Australia.
Take a break and enjoy our campus spaces including libraries, student rooms, gardens, cafés, art galleries, and the student square. Take a weekend off to go exploring in Litchfield National Park, Kakadu, Nitmiluk, Mindil Beach Markets and much more.
Take advantage of the extracurricular activities on offer and add value to your CDU student experience. Why not learn a new sport or volunteer for a cause? You can also learn employability skills, or become a student ambassador or student mentor to further your leadership skills.
What can I study?
Choose from a broad range of pathway, vocational education and training (TAFE), undergraduate, postgraduate and research programmes in subjects including:
- Culinary arts and baking
- Exercise and sport science
- Hairdressing and beauty services
- Humanitarian, emergency and disaster management
- Humanities and social sciences
- Indigenous knowledges
- IT, cybersecurity and network engineering
- Law and legal studies
- Nursing and midwifery
- Public health
- Science, environmental science
- Social work
- Tourism and hospitality
- Workplace health and safety