Campuses: North Ryde, Sydney
Student Population: 44,000
Over 300 leading companies are located on or around our campus, allowing students to forge industry connections that give them an edge in their future careers, while staff can access research and innovation opportunities. Many of the world’s best universities partner with us, as do global organisations such as AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson, Optus, Hyundai and Sony. Such partnerships are evidence of our reputation as a university at which research, learning and teaching innovations are all world class.
Everything you need to know
Real World Learning
Employers worldwide appreciate Macquarie’s practical approach to learning, which gives students real-world skills. Internships are encouraged, via course-related internships or the Professional and Community Engagement (PACE) initiative, which lets undergraduate students undertake internships and cultural experiences locally and internationally. Our award-winning Global Leadership Programme (GLP) enables students to study, volunteer and participate in activities in Australia and overseas.
CEOs surveyed in The New York Times ranked us among the world’s top 100 universities for graduate recruitment. We have an alumni network of over 150,000 graduates in 140 countries.
An Innovative Curriculum
Experts predict that by 2025 around 50 percent of jobs as we know them today won’t exist. It’s vital that our students graduate with the skills to prepare them for a changing world of work. With a view to delivering programmes for the next part of the 21st century, we have transformed our courses.
We have introduced more than 40 new year-long Masters degrees and a huge range of double degrees at both bachelors and masters level, giving students the ability to combine more diverse areas of study than ever before and open up ever greater employment options. Our degrees now contain ‘core’ and ‘flexible’ zones, giving students greater choice and flexibility in their studies. And we’ve introduced a range of new degrees in areas of growing global market demand, including cybersecurity, engineering management, financial technologies, forensic accounting and many more.
Macquarie has a reputation for research excellence and was given the maximum rating of five in the Australian Government’s most recent Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) report. The report also rated 100% of Macquarie’s research activity at world standard or higher.
Macquarie hosts four of Australia’s 13 Research Centres for Excellence, including the Centre for Excellence in Core to Crust Fluid Systems and the Centre for Excellence for Cognition and Disorders. We were the first Australian university to align with the Bologna Model, and our research students can undertake research with other universities via a Cotutelle partnership.
What can I study?
- Education and teaching
- Engineering and IT
- Health and medical sciences
- Health professions
- Linguistics, speech and hearing
- Media and creative arts
- Security and intelligence
- Society, languages and culture
- Translating and interpreting
Macquarie is 15km from Sydney Harbour and has a train station on campus that connects directly to the CBD. The campus sits on 126 hectares of parkland. More than A$1 billion has been invested in recent years and our students enjoy world class facilities – a new library, a private hospital, first class sports fields, an Olympic-sized swimming pool and a gym. Accommodation is available for all students on and off campus, with fully and self-catered, single and shared rooms available.
International scholarships and grants
Macquarie has one of the most generous scholarship programmes in Australia, providing many opportunities each year to international students to undertake studies here. One key new addition to our list of scholarships is the Europe – Macquarie University A$10,000 Early Acceptance Scholarship. This scholarship is awarded to all eligible students from Europe who commence their studies in 2022. It is valued at up to A$10,000 per year for the standard duration of a bachelors or masters degree by coursework (up to A$5,000 will be credited to each study session, or term).
- Ranked among the top 200 world universities (QS World University Rankings, 2022 and Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2021)
- Ranked 195 in the world; 12 in Australia (Times Higher Education World University
- Winner: AFR Employability Award, 2020, Australia’s best employability programme: Bachelor of Arts (2020 AFR Higher Education Award)
- Top 110 in the world for employability (QS Graduate Employability Rankings, 2020)
- Sydney ranked 8th most desirable student city in the world (QS Best Student Cities, 2022)
- Three UN Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) categories in Top 50 for Global Impact (Times Higher Education University Impact Rankings, 2020)
Rankings: Subjects and research
- Master of Marketing ranked 19; Master of Applied Finance ranked 32; Master of Management 49 globally (QS World University Rankings Business Masters Ranking, 2021)
- Three subjects ranked top 50 globally and seven subjects ranked top 100 (QS World University Rankings by Subject, 2020)
- MBA ranked 3 in Australia (Financial Times, 2019, and The Economist’s ‘Which MBA’ 2018 Survey)
- MQ Business School has accreditation from AACSB, ACCA, CPA Australia and the Association of MBAs (AMBA)
- First global research collaboration pathway via the Master of Research
- Global MBA 1 in Australia and 6 globally (CEO Magazine 2020)